Weight Loss Program
The Charter Health’s Weight Loss Program was launched to provide focused interventions for individuals suffering from excessive weight. Obesity negatively impacts physical and emotional well-being and is a public health crisis in the American population. Losing excess weight through regular exercise and healthy eating can profoundly improve emotional and physical well-being.
At your first visit we will:
- Identify your aspirations around weight loss and overall well-being.
- Review past efforts at weight loss and the factors or barriers that kept you from reaching and/or sustaining an ideal body weight.
- Take a comprehensive medical history and physical, with a special emphasis on metabolic issues, a behavioral health history, and a social history.
- Calculate your body mass index (BMI) and body fat composition.
- Set monthly goals for weight loss
- Set daily goals for steps and other exercises.
- Agree to a plan for monitoring progress. Consider wearing a pedometer every day to help count steps. Consider smartphone or smartwatch apps to record exercise, calories burned, and daily caloric intake.
- We will also consider involving specialists, including dieticians, behavioral health specialists, addiction specialists, diabetes educators, and others.
Subsequent visits will be scheduled based on your needs and goals, but often monthly. Progress can be effectively monitored through telemedicine visits for patients who prefer it over in-person visits to the office. At each visit, we will exchange data on your exercise, food and calorie intake, and home weight and waist circumference measurements.
Our primary objective is a long-term healthy weight. Healthy weight loss is usually 1 – 2 pounds per week. Starvation diets or excessive exercise over the short-term may lead to more rapid weight loss but this can be dangerous and weight loss is more difficult to maintain.
There are many short and long-term physical, emotional, and lifestyle benefits of weight loss, some of which include:
- Greater energy levels as the body’s cells become more metabolically active
- Improved back and joint pain. Losing 10lbs relieves 40lbs of pressure on the knees and feet.
- Improved blood sugar and cholesterol levels reducing the risk of diabetes, stroke, and heart attack.
- Improved blood pressure reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Improved sleep and control of sleep apnea.
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improved sex life
See What Charter Health Can Do
At Charter Health, we offer a variety of services and treat multiple common conditions. Click below to view all services!